Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Entrepreneur Spirit


What excites your kids? It is a fact that kids emulate the teachers in their life. This is a large part of how they learn. It is also a fact that kids are heavily influenced in their early years, so why not get them excited and exploring the world of being an entrepreneur. It is amazing what my five year old picks up from me. I am in to fitness and eating fairly healthy. My son loves to show me how he eats his broccoli and spinach, and then hits a double bicep pose asking me to feel his muscles. I like to watch CNBS "Fast Money" and "Mad Money". My son will play in the same room as me when I am watching my shows. I don't really think he is paying attention because he is flying around the room like Superman. Until last week when his mom picked him up from school he jumped in the car and buckled up. Mom had a soda bottle in the car where he took a sip and put the cap back on it. He then proceeded to talk into the the bottle and mom quotes "my name is Mason and I would like to talk to you about making money and making stocks". When she told me that I got the biggest smile on my face and just gave him a big hug and asked if he could teach me. I have always made it a point to take the time to explain things no matter where we are or how much I have to do.

One night I brought him to a stock holders meeting where I put him in a room with one of his favorite DVDs and lots of snacks. About fifteen minutes into the meeting I see my son sitting by the door listening very intently to what is being said. That is not the surprising part. The surprising part was when the meeting was over he proceeded to draw on the white board the figures of the investments we had talked about. Both myself and Jonathan looked at each other in amazement.

It is up to us to excite our kids and teach them what they will never be taught in school. Get them excited now and encourage them to try and talk ideas out. I talk to my son about companies that we will run. Right now he wants to own a toy company and a motorcycle store, gee can you guess who owns and loves to ride motorcycles.